Micah Hobbs and wife Nancy (Smith) originally
of Princeton, Worcester County, Mass., bought a sixty acre portion of lot
98 from William Hewitt for $400 and moved to Barrettstown in 1801.129 His
home was built just a short distance from Simon Barrett's on what is now
called Wiley's Hill. As a surveyor and justice of peace, Micah's services
were much needed in Hope.
Micah came to Camden with his brother William to help set up Camden's first
water system on April 7,1800. They contracted with Jacob Reed to lay an
aqueduct at the Harbor Village. The pipes were made of hemlock, spruce and
cedar in sections about ten feet in length. The conduits led from a spring
at the lower base of the mountain. In his deed from William Hewitt, Micah
is referred to a "pump coarer, of Princeton, Worcester County, Mass.
We have already mentioned "Squire"
Micah Hobbs, surveyor and justice of the peace, whose services were ever
in demand. He was called upon to settle estates and make land divisions
if needed, layout roads and most important of all, to marry couples, a duty
he shared with Justices Almond Gushee and Fergus McLain.
After Micah Hobbs sold his first home to Oliver Pendleton he moved to the
side of Hatchet Mountain on lot 85 which is to this day still occupied by
descendants of the same family, the Paysons.